Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Back in Action

     
        Sooooo....it's been a while since I've updated this thing. It hasn't really been lack of interest, more lack of time/energy. Not a lot to report on the writing front. I've finally started to pick up momentum again. I'm working on a new short story, and I'm happy to say I'm several chapters into a new novel, which cannibalizes some of the better elements from The Singularity War, my MFA thesis. Over a year out of the program, I'm still learning lots about writing. I'm trying to be more disciplined in my work, aiming for 1,000-2,000 words a day (not including blog posts or e-mails), and I've set a tentative deadline for a completed first draft in mid-November.
      Since my last post, I've read a number of good books, seen some good movies, and become hopelessly addicted to Breaking Bad. I could write a dozen blog posts about that show, but I won't, since that territory seems to be pretty much covered by the rest of the world. A couple books I enjoyed were Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold and, more recently, Perdition by Ann Aguirre, both of which I highly recommend. On the movie front, highlights of the summer for me were Elysium and, somewhat unexpectedly, Riddick, both of which I hope to write more detailed reviews of in future posts. I'm happy to see that science fiction is finally making a comeback on the big screen, which will hopefully fuel interest in the written stuff.
       That's pretty much all for now. I hope to post more frequently from now on, and write many more reviews of books and movies, and maybe even reflect on the finale of Breaking Bad once all the hype dies down. We'll see. So long for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment