Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Gabble and Other Stories

         


        One of my favorite living SF writers is Neal Asher. He's written dozens of novels and scores of short stories, which can be found in magazines ranging from Interzone to Asimov's, as well as numerous small press collections. I first encountered Asher's fiction as a freshman in college, when I picked up a copy of Gridlinked from the local Barnes and Noble. I was hooked. From there I read every novel of his I could find (though, me being in the US and he a UK author, many had to be ordered from sites like Amazon or The Book Depository). Then I discovered his short fiction.
      Growing up, I've always had an affinity for novels and never paid much attention to short stories until I was in my first Creative Writing workshop, where I realized it was far easier to critique a complete story than a chapter. I shifted my focus to shorter works and began to read loads of fiction along those lines. Along with Alastair Reynolds, Neal Asher was one of the first SF writers to really get me interested in the short story. Many of his stories are set in the Polity, a far future civilization ruled by AIs and populated by a myriad of life forms both human and not. They're action packed, with complex plots and strange characters, exploring alien ecologies and age old themes while simultaneously maintaining the pace and energy of the latest summer blockbuster. In summation, they were exactly the type of fiction I was trying to write.
       Of all Asher's many novels and collections, one of my favorites is The Gabble and Other Stories, which brings together what are, in my opinion, his best short stories. Personal favorites include "Adaptogenic," "Snow in the Desert," and "Acephalous Dreams." One of the things I find so intriguing about Asher's fiction is how he gradually builds upon his Polity universe through short stories, creating a world that feels both organic and real. I'm a huge fan of easter eggs authors leave for observant readers, and Asher's works are full of them. Read an Asher novel, and if you've read any of his short fiction, you're liable to see a familiar character or two make a cameo, or in some cases, even steal the show.
      If you like heady, action oriented science fiction mixed with equal parts horror, thriller, and adventure, you can't go wrong with Neal Asher. If you've never read anything by him before, The Gabble and Other Stories is an excellent starting point. Just be sure to check the seals on your envirosuit, charge your pulse-gun, and watch out for gabbleducks!

Check out Neal Asher's website: Neal Asher Space and his blog, The Skinner

1 comment: